Insurance as a self-employed person

Are you already your own boss or thinking about becoming one? Congratulations on your bold project!

What insurance do you need as a self-employed person?

Accident insurance: SafetyPro
As a self-employed person, you are not subject to compulsory accident insurance (LAA/UVG).  You must therefore take out insurance yourself against workplace and non-workplace accidents.

SafetyPro is a comprehensive accident insurance solution for the self-employed. It completes the compulsory accident coverage that is part of basic health coverage.

Find out more about SafetyPro and its comprehensive accident benefits below.

Coverage for incapacity for work, disability, old-age: Challenge
You are not subject to the Federal Law on Occupational Benefits (LPP/BVG). You must therefore take out your own coverage against the following risks:

  • incapacity for work in the event of illness or accident
  • disability
  • death
  • old-age

Challenge is a solution that helps the self-employed avoid insurance gaps. It allows you to benefit from:

  • daily allowance insurance in the event of illness or accident
  • life insurance against death and/or disability risks
  • a savings supplement for your retirement

Discover Challenge and its three levels of coverage.

Frequently asked questions

Your overall situation remains unchanged, but you must:

  • Inform your loss of income insurer directly about your incapacity for work (it is no longer your employer’s responsibility).
  • Inform the insurer of any change in your personal circumstances (unemployment, new employer, disability, change of address, of income, etc.).

You must notify us immediately of your departure from the company (within 90 days of leaving the circle of insured persons) and specify that you wish to be offered a free transfer to individual insurance. If you accept this offer, you will continue to enjoy insurance coverage under the same conditions as when you were employed by the company. You will be responsible for paying the premium associated with the policy.

Pursuant to Swiss Federal Law (Article 5b LFLP/FZG), the insured person may demand payment in cash of their termination benefits when they become self-employed, and when they are therefore no longer obliged to be insured through the LPP/BVG scheme.

The person must:
- supply to their pension institution the documentary evidence of them starting self-employment (renting of premises, purchase of equipment, certificate from the AVS (old-age and survivors pension insurance scheme), registration in the trade register, etc.)
- request the payout of their benefits during the year following the start of their self-employed activity as their main activity

The following document(s) should be enclosed with your request, depending on your civil status:

  • if you are single, a recent civil status certificate
  • if you are divorced, a recent civil status certificate and a copy of the divorce judgment
  • if you are married, the officially legalised signature of your spouse (municipality, notary, Groupe Mutuel branch)
See all FAQs
Groupe Mutuel

Rue des Cèdres 5 Case postale, 1919 Martigny    |    +41 0848.803.111